Physical Free Comic Book Day is over, but Substack is continuing the giveaways TODAY
tomorrow with one day only of free comics. It’s also the debut of Phenomenocity from writer Tini Howard (Catwoman, Excalibur, X of Swords) and artist Phillip Sevy (Triage, The House, Tomb Raider), a near-future, science-fiction noir in a world that joyfully accepts that not all of our questions have answers.
“This story has been living in my head for some time, but it never fully gelled until I got the idea to bring in my comics brother Phillip Sevy” said writer Tini Howard. “Phillip was one of my first collaborators in comics, and we’ve been friends on a wavelength ever since. No one designs a city like Phil, and there’s a way he sees future tech and sci fi that’s so inspiring to me. This is a true collaboration – the way I like to make comics – and I’m so thrilled to be returning to the creator-owned world with one of my favorite artists.”
“I’ve been itching to find another project to work on with my comics sister,” said Phillip Sevy. “When Tini approached me in 2021 all she had to say was “Strong women, mysterious city, murder, and a world without social media” and I was 100% in. It’s been a blast building this world and story with her. Our collaboration has been fantastic and has really created something unique and interesting that I know readers will love.”
And here are a few EXCLUSIVE preview pages of Phenomenocity to get you going:
Here’s the full line-up of free to read comics tomorrow, including one of the earliest unseen works by comics legend Grant Morrison dating back 40 years, and drawn by The Writer themself from back when they had hair!
All can be read on the recently launched Substack app, via the Panels app.
- The Scorpio Room by Tini Howard and Phillip Sevy: Tini and Phillip launch PHENOMENOCITY, a brand-new series, with a free-to-read chapter.
- 3 Worlds / 3 Moons by Jonathan Hickman, Mike del Mundo, and Mike Huddleston: The trio share a special preview chapter of their ongoing series THE VALLARS, with art by Jason Howard. In addition, they’re making all 10 previously published (Systems) short stories free to read for one day only.
- The Empire of the Tiny Onion by James Tynion IV: James debuts his new anthology series, TRUE WEIRD, with the story “Coney Island,” featuring art by the legendary Klaus Janson.
- Xanaduum by Grant Morrison: Grant reveals a never-before-published story, “Going Home,” written and drawn in 1982.
- Copper Bottle by Saladin Ahmed and Dave Acosta: Saladin and Dave begin serializing their Kickstarter hit book DRAGON, which is always free to read.
- Exploding Giraffe by Brian K. Vaughan and Niko Henrichon: A new chapter is released from SPECTATORS. This one is always free to read (and for mature spectators only).
- Everlasting Productions by Elsa Charretier and Tom King: Elsa and Tom make available the latest issue of their always-free new series, LOVE EVERLASTING.
- Glass Eye Studios by Khary Randolph and Joanne Starer: Khary and Joanne debut the first full issue of their always-free new series, SIRENS OF THE CITY.
- Tales From the Farm by Jeff Lemire: Jeff releases the first full issue of his Black Hammer series COLONEL WEIRD & LITTLE ANDROMEDA, written by Tate Brombal with art by Ray Fawkes.
- 1979 Semi-Finalist by Kelly Thompson: Kelly releases the second issue of THE BLACK CLOAK, with art by Meredith McClaren.
- Stupid Fresh Mess by Skottie Young: Scottie shares a new story from the always-free UNTOLD TALES OF I HATE FAIRYLAND series, with art by Brett Parson.
- Dark Apocrypha by Rodney Barnes: Rodney debuts the next chapter of his new book, 20 DEGREES PAST RIGOR, with art by Maan House
“Going Home” 1982: Art and story by Grant Morrison